Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mother hen

Last night in the hostel (sorry all my posts as of late seem to be about the hostels) I was in a 10 bed mostly female room. Five girls were actively trying to sleep. Heads under blankets trying to block out the room light. I walk in and there is one girl screwing around on her phone another reading a book. It's almost 1am and I want to go to bed. I say I'm turning off the light and the girl reading stares daggers at me. But it's the right thing to do and we settle in for some sleep. 15 minutes later two boys walk into their room next to ours and are laughing, joking, singing, having a grand ol' time but we can hear every hindi word they say even though none of us spoke Hindi. After them not shutting up after several minutes I went over to knock on the door to give them a guilt trip and to embarrass them by saying they had a lovely singing voice. The Indian boys turned beet red and shut up for the rest of the night. Some times it does pay to be the oldest one in the room: I get my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment