Friday, July 1, 2011

God bless library workers

I wouldn't normally do this but here is some advice: if you are my Mom stop reading this post now. I don't want you to worry more than you already do.

With that being said, it started out a normal day. Checked out even though I couldn't find my key card, ate some toast and drank some tea, then got on the trains to go to London. At my first stop over I thought I'd get some food for the next, longer, train ride. But where is my wallet with a couple of pounds, ATM card, credit card, drivers license???? Where? There? No. In there? No. Packed here? No. Shit. Sitting in a park I start to ball. I am making terrible sad sounds. No one even looks. I dump out my bags and check everything twice. Nothing. The tears fall harder but at least I have my passport and AmEx card in a safe spot. I try to dry my eyes and find a phone. I ask some women working the train station to help me call my hostel. Their phone can't connect the line. I tear up and walk away with them just looking at one another not sure how to react. I find a bar and beg the bartender to give me the wi-fi password so I can check my email. I ask him for a phone with blurry wet eyes and amazingly this bar has no phone! I cry again and start to wander the streets. I can't use any public phones, I have no change. I find a public library, God save the queen! Librarians are world known for being wonderfully nice and helpful so I look to them for some compassion. I explain to the guard at the door checking bags my story and he doesn't subject me to further humiliation by searching my gigantic backpack. I go up to a guy in coat check, tell him what happened and he says "Oy, you need to borrow a phone, eh? Here you are" and passes me his phone he was just texting on. No big deal to him. THE HOSTEL HAS IT. Thank the heavens. While I was so befuddled that the hostel didnt care if I didnt returned the room key or that they even needed my name on check out I left my wallet on the reception desk.

First huge lesson learned. I thankful I have an all day train pass today. I need to train back to Brighton to pick up the wallet, train to London, transfer, then get my butt to Liverpool.

I hope you didnt read that Mom, but if you did I am now extra aware of everything I do. I have a lot of time to think and reflect while I am on trains today.

No comments:

Post a Comment