Sunday, July 7, 2013

My independence day to NZ

I'm here! I really am here!

Me and my stuff
I left the evening of July 3rd with my bags packed (suitcase, backpack, bike box, travel backpack, and a small duffle) and I was at the strangest calm I have been at for months. I checked in my luggage and went through security without a hiccup.  I did my last ToDo's, like call my parents, then I paced. Up and down the center of the international terminal till it was my turn to board. My jumble of nerves set itself down in the back row next to my new friend, Wendy.  For the next 12 hours we flew to Auckland together while talking, laughing, and eating the adequate plane food.  By the end of the first leg she gave me her phone number and said she may know someone who has a job for me that would be working in an Irish bar!  Rad!  I will definitely give her a call by the end of the week.

The plane landed in Auckland and I had two hours to get off the plane, through customs, through bio-security with my bags, run over to the domestic terminal, re-check my bags, and go through security again.  I was starting to stress but thankfully I had gotten about 4 hours of sleep on the plane mid-way through my viewing of classic 1980's movie: Wall Street.  I had my many printouts of all of information which was requested I had before I could enter the country with my visa.  The woman at the customs counter did not ask me for any of it.  I asked, "did you want to see any of this?" and she replied with "nah, it all showed up on the computer."  Works for me, so I skipped (no joke) merrily towards baggage pickup.  All three of my pieces of luggage rolled by and it was up to me to get it all on my wee trolley cart.  When the bike box was standing up on the trolley I couldn't see over it.  I had to steer with my face careened around the side of the cart.  Bio-Security was a breeze and nobody seemed to care that I had a jar of peanut butter, a bike, a wooden jewelry box, or anything.

Upon exiting the international terminal I ran my cart directly into a small metal stump causing all of my goods to spill everywhere.  I was quite a sight but every one was kind to help me navigate my trolley up and down curbs.  My my, the people are nice here!  Upon entering the domestic terminal I met up again with my plane friend, Wendy, who showed me the ropes of checking back in.  We had about 45 minutes till our plane took off.  I had worn two jackets and a scarf thinking it would be cold since it was 6am and the middle of winter.  Instead I sweated.  A lot.  When I went through the security line I set off the alarm and had to get my back patted down.  My sweat set off the scanner.  I was mortified.  I made it with 5 minutes to spare but our plane was delayed 15 minutes.  Perfect.  I got a tea and went for a mini-walk.

The second flight was a quick one and before I knew it I was collecting my bags again and calling Guy.  We did all that mushy stuff and I realized I was safely here.  Not as tired as I thought I would be.  More content than I ever thought I could be.  I have arrived and it feels great.  More posts to come about my first week here!  Sorry I missed the Fourth of July but my adventure was my own independence day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment