Thursday, January 20, 2011

A new year, A new plan

It has been awhile since I posted. I have thought and re-thought my summer plans. Oh yeah, I should post that I did not get the job I was talking about in the previous post. But it is okay because it is better this way.

The new plan is this: One month, one month and a half in the U.K. The biggest thing that makes me nervous about traveling by myself is that I speak no other languages. I have talked with many people who have traveled alone and only speak English and they say they did not have any problems. Also I am thinking that since this is my first trip alone why not focus one 1 - 3 countries like England, Ireland, and Scotland! If I see everything I wanted to see really fast (which I doubt will happen) I could head over to France or Spain for a while. If I leave countries unseen then I have something to come back to. I think I would like to spend the summer in England drinking tea and looking at rolling green hillsides. I like castles too so I think this might work out very well.

The biggest thing I am worried about is what to do with Ness and my apartment. I don't know who I can get to stay at my place who I trust. I got an AmEx card that will be my cat-card so for vet appointments, emergencies, and food/toys it will be taken care of while I'm away. Forward thinker, right? If I can get a person to stay in my apartment and give me most of what my rent is while I continue PG&E and internet/cable, I would be happy. Who wouldn't want to live in SF for a foggy summer?

List of UK sights I want to see:
  • Windsor castle
  • Stonehenge
  • City of Bath
  • Westminster Abby
  • Irish pub
  • "There once was a Pattison in Limerick"
  • Aberdeen
  • Prince Harry
  • Tower of London
  • The Tate (hehehe)
  • More Loch's
  • What else am I missing?

Ideas submitted by Zac...
  • The Globe (in London).
  • Guinness Factory Tour.
  • Dover / Canterbury.
  • Portabello Market (Notting Hill!)
  • Rosetta Stone / Elgin Marbles in British Natural History Museum.
  • Look for Big Nessie.

3 comments:

  1. The Globe (in London).
    Guinness Factory Tour.
    Dover / Canterbury.
    Portabello Market (Notting Hill!)
    Rosetta Stone / Elgin Marbles in British Natural History Museum.
    Look for Big Nessie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tower of London - we actually did this instead of the regular tour and I thought it was really cool. Apply now: http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/whatson/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx

    My lovely friend Chris lives in Cambridge now - I'm sure she'd be happy to house you and show you around for a day or two if you're interested.

    Make sure you go to the King's Cross Tube Station to see the Harry Potter platform. I didn't care, but Zac did.

    Also, never went here but it sounds badass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_District

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot-yeah I cared. It was awesome.

    Remember that little Asian guy yelling "WHO'S KEYS?" Ah, good times. It was really cool, but given more time, seeing the crown jewels would have been cool also.

    ReplyDelete